Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Add me as a friend on Facebook! You can also folow me on Twitter. If you have any questions on quilting, I can try to answer them for you, or you can check out my FAQ, or email me at skippitydodahquilts@yahoo.com

Happy Quilting!

About Me

My photo
I'm just a new wife who has an obsession with my sewing machine! In Oct. 2010, my mother and I created my first sewing project - Euro pillow shams. I was hooked! I read everything I could get my hands on that had to do with sewing! Books, magazines, online tutorials. I experimented and found that I get so much enjoyment from making quilts, and that it's where I found my niche. I'm still a beginner, but I've learned so much in just 5 short months, that I want to share it with someone!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hey there, Delilah

This Saturday, April 9th, one of my quilts will be auctioned off at my local church/school auction! I am so very humbled that they accepted my quilt :). 

"Delilah"

I was listening to a song by The Plain White T's - Hey there, Delilah and I was very inspired! 

I feel it's very whimsical, fun, and just down-right pretty :). 

I used a pattern from Moda Bakeshop. It can be found here

The entire quilt top and binding was made from one layer cake! Yes, you read right! Although I didn't use the Lilly and Will she has in the tutorial (I used Whimsy by Fig Tree Quilts for Moda), I found this pattern to be very easy to follow. The instructions were clear, precise, and the diagrams for the cutting of the layer cake were very handy! 

The back is pieced, also with fabrics from Whimsy.

This quilt went very fast. From start to finish, it took about 5 days. That's some serious speed-sewing! Whew!

I used an all over free-hand design that took about an hour to quilt on the long-arm machine. I think I mentioned this in my post for my last quilt, but I'll say it again. If you don't use a long-arm for quilting, I highly recommend it! I have seen the light, as it were!

The thread I used, which blends in perfectly with the fabric, is a light yellow, almost a butter from Connecting Threads. It's a variegated, 50 wt cotton thread, and I will definitely be buying more of this color!

The finished quilt measures 43" square. A perfect baby size!

Oh, I almost forgot about labels! I always, always, always label a quilt! After I'm 6 feet under, I want others to remember my work and where it came from! 

I used to label my quilts with a fabric marker and a little stabilizer, and I hated labeling this way. I don't have very nice penmanship, so I dreaded this part. Until I found a tutorial for so pretty labels from Crafty Gemini! She posted a very easy video tutorial on how to make labels using a computer, printer, freezer paper, an iron, and a scrap of fabric. It's so-ooo easy, I promise! Watch her tutorial here, and try it! You won't be sorry!
Happy Quilting!

Popular Posts