Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Add me as a friend on Facebook! You can also folow me on Twitter. If you have any questions on quilting, I can try to answer them for you, or you can check out my FAQ, or email me at skippitydodahquilts@yahoo.com

Happy Quilting!

About Me

My photo
I'm just a new wife who has an obsession with my sewing machine! In Oct. 2010, my mother and I created my first sewing project - Euro pillow shams. I was hooked! I read everything I could get my hands on that had to do with sewing! Books, magazines, online tutorials. I experimented and found that I get so much enjoyment from making quilts, and that it's where I found my niche. I'm still a beginner, but I've learned so much in just 5 short months, that I want to share it with someone!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Quilt-Along Block #5

Whew! It's been a looonng time since I posted! Here in the states, it was Independence Day on the 4th, so we had celebrations all weekend. It was fun, but I'm glad to get back into a normal routine!

An update on the house-hunting - 

We looked at a house last week, we really liked it. A part of me was (and still is) a little bitter about the other house, and I wasn't ready for another experience like that one! It turns out that the house is in short sale at a much lower price than the value and at what the other homes in the area are worth. We made an offer, and are now at the mercy of the bank, who can either accept, counter, or reject our offer. Hopefully it swings in our favor!

Okay, so we're into week 5 of the quilt-along! If you feel like you've been challenged the past few weeks, then I've done my job! These blocks are supposed to challenge new quilters to try new techniques and I want everyone to push themselves. 
So, for this block you will need the following - 

1 blue print square, 4 1/2"

4 pink print squares, 3 7/8"

4 tan/yellow squares, 4 7/8"

4 blue/blue print rectangles, 2 1/2"x7 1/4"

2 1/2" borders. 2 strips WOF (width of fabric) should suffice

1 ruler, at least 8" square, with a 45 degree angle mark


With your ruler, line up the 45 degree marks with the edge of your rectangle. Cut along the edge. You should now have a parallelogram that looks like this -
Repeat for the rest of the rectangles. 

Now, cut your tan/yellow squares and your pink squares in half, diagonally. You should have 8 triangles of each print. 








Now, take 2 pink squares and sew them to a rectangle like this, starting with the right triangle, and then sew the top triangle - 
note - you will have to trim corners as needed

Take two tan/yellow squares and sew together like this - 
Repeat until you have four total.

Assemble your block, using the partial seam method. If you've never done a partial seam, refer to this website. It gives very clear instructions using precise diagrams. 

Once you've assembled the pieces, you will need to trim any excess on the sides to square up the block.

Add your 2 1/2" borders

And you're finished! 
I really like this one. It gave me an opportunity to use some fun techniques that aren't normally used in traditional beginner piecing.

My local LQS has given me an awesome opportunity to attend the One Stop Shop Hop and help with the booth this weekend! It's Friday 9 AM-5 PM and Saturday 8 AM-3 PM at the Hope Hotel and Conference Center in Dayton, Ohio. I hope to see everyone there! We will be at the Heavenly Stitches booth, so make sure to come visit!


Popular Posts