Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Add me as a friend on Facebook! You can also folow me on Twitter. If you have any questions on quilting, I can try to answer them for you, or you can check out my FAQ, or email me at skippitydodahquilts@yahoo.com

Happy Quilting!

About Me

My photo
I'm just a new wife who has an obsession with my sewing machine! In Oct. 2010, my mother and I created my first sewing project - Euro pillow shams. I was hooked! I read everything I could get my hands on that had to do with sewing! Books, magazines, online tutorials. I experimented and found that I get so much enjoyment from making quilts, and that it's where I found my niche. I'm still a beginner, but I've learned so much in just 5 short months, that I want to share it with someone!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Hand Quilting, Machine Quilting, and Longarm quilting - The Great Debate

What do you prefer when it comes to your quilts? 

I've dabbled in a bit of all three, and I've found that for anything larger than a table runner, I throw it on the longarm. I rent one for $25 an hour, and I much prefer this than having someone else do it. I'm a bit of a control freak, so I like knowing what is going on at every step during the quilting process. I've quilted all my quilts, and I can't imagine any other way :).

Machine quilting is alright, too. My LQS offers a class on honing your machine quilting skills, and I think I will be asking for this class for my birthday this year :). I guess what I don't like about machine quilting is it feels like I'm guiding the paper and not the pen (make sense?). On a longarm, you're guiding the pen (needle) while the paper (quilt) is stationary. It's the other way around on a machine. 

Hand quilting isn't bad, either. I just like being able to have big quilts done in a matter of hours. However, I am putting a toe in the hand quilting water with a table runner for my kitchen. Small projects like that are nice because they are so portable!

So, how do you quilt your quilts? Any special techniques? Any tips from you machine quilters? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Popular Posts