Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Add me as a friend on Facebook! You can also folow me on Twitter. If you have any questions on quilting, I can try to answer them for you, or you can check out my FAQ, or email me at skippitydodahquilts@yahoo.com

Happy Quilting!

About Me

My photo
I'm just a new wife who has an obsession with my sewing machine! In Oct. 2010, my mother and I created my first sewing project - Euro pillow shams. I was hooked! I read everything I could get my hands on that had to do with sewing! Books, magazines, online tutorials. I experimented and found that I get so much enjoyment from making quilts, and that it's where I found my niche. I'm still a beginner, but I've learned so much in just 5 short months, that I want to share it with someone!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

There is a quilter in all of us!

Today, a reader really inflated my ego and asked me a pretty interesting question, to which I have a fun answer!

"Question from a reader and friend: How did you learn to sew such pretty quilts?!"



Well, I am quite flattered, but I am far from a professional! :) But, I am mostly self-taught, and I learned much of my skills by sewing really badly! That, and for the past 5 months, I've been obsessed with sewing and quilting. I spend at least 5 hours a day, 5 days a week at my machine, consuming any kind of information I can get my hands on! Online tutorials, books, the lovely ladies at my local quilting shop, etc. play a huge role in my success. 

My mom (God love her) says that I have 'natural talent', but I just believe I'm bull-headed, stubborn, and determined to learn. There have been days (that go into nights) where I've locked myself in my sewing room and won't come out until I learn a new technique. 

Not to mention I have an amazing husband who understands my obsession and takes over the needs of the house when I'm 'in the zone'. He is truly a wonderful man!

A lot of practice, and a lot of trial and error is the most important piece of information I can tell you!

Trust me, there is a quilter and sewer in all of us, you just have to let it come out and play!

I am quite humbled when other quilters admire my quilts, but I still have so much more to learn, and I love soaking all the information in and trying it out! 

Happy Quilting!

Popular Posts