Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! Add me as a friend on Facebook! You can also folow me on Twitter. If you have any questions on quilting, I can try to answer them for you, or you can check out my FAQ, or email me at skippitydodahquilts@yahoo.com

Happy Quilting!

About Me

My photo
I'm just a new wife who has an obsession with my sewing machine! In Oct. 2010, my mother and I created my first sewing project - Euro pillow shams. I was hooked! I read everything I could get my hands on that had to do with sewing! Books, magazines, online tutorials. I experimented and found that I get so much enjoyment from making quilts, and that it's where I found my niche. I'm still a beginner, but I've learned so much in just 5 short months, that I want to share it with someone!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Question of the day....well of the month, really.

I get asked this ALL the time - How do I not get the pleating with all the grid quilting I do???????

Well, ask and ye shall receive! 


Safety pins. And lots of 'em. It's how I baste ALL my quilts. I've never spray basted because I've heard it's one of the big reasons quilters get pleats. 
Another tip - As I'm quilting, I pull the fabric on either side of where I'm stitching really tight, all the way up to and through the machine, and I keep doing it until I get to the end of a line. It helps A LOT.

A walking foot is a big thing too. A walking foot pulls the top and bottom fabrics at the same rate, so you get no pleats or puckering. Well worth the investment if you are serious about any kind of sewing or quilting. 

I know there are some quilters who swear by spray basting, or what have you. To each their own :). 

Happy quilting!


Popular Posts